Sunday, July 5, 2015

OMG ( Oh My Gourd! )

It was the eve of our 239th Independence Day and the animals in our garden started the fireworks early. It had been a long time since I had spent any quality time with my DSLR and my favorite 60mm Micro Nikkor lens. There are astronauts who study the vast expanse of space and then there are micronauts who study the tiny world in the world around us. I am of the latter kind.

My garden has seen some green times as of late largely due to the efforts of those who tend to it and the record Texas rain this year. I wanted to document what my garden had been producing of late and I turned my attention to this bitter gourd here because the colors on it popped out from amongst the dark green foliage.


Click to enlarge
I haven't exactly joined the whole Organic revolution completely although I am all for it because a call to simpler living seems very logical at this point in time. Our culture is like a football player who is going to get ejected because of excessive celebration. Every movement that takes their 'pride' too far is sure to fall and fail for summer and pride go before every fall.

The whole point of stepping out with a macro lens into my garden was because I was tired of looking at the garden through the window of my study on floor #2. With a close focusing range of a few inches, the macro lens opens up a world of study that we didn't even know exists around us. It's akin to studying dark matter in the universe when the right technology is at hand.

Zooming into the gourd and examining it's rugged visage, I felt that I was zoning in on something spectacular and unexpected here.


Click to enlarge

It was only a few days ago, the rain drops were flowing through the little hills and valleys on the veggie's exterior like how rain make it's way through a hilly range.  The topography made for some interesting photography. Like Bert Stein on the final photoshoot of Marilyn Monroe, I went in close to examine the smooth exteriors of the this fine creation of Nature 

Talk about being a fly on the wall, I found pair of house flies doing it on one of the 'hills' which had sprouted from the earth of the vegetable. The flies had become tired of climbing that hill that they decided to rest and then one thing lead to another as they say...



This reminds me of many things besides sex. Germans screwing the Greeks over the Greek 'mountain of debt' or does this look like a mountaineer with a backpack scaling Mount Everest ? Whatever it is, the flies looked like they had taken the hill from the Viet Cong in a largely meaningless battle. 

The flies did their thing and flew away happy. I waited for them to finish ( no pun intended ) and reach the emotional peak of this call of nature. The vegetable was ripe for plucking, as ripe as the flies were for f-----g. I did the noble thing in the end and sent the vegetable on it's way to the stove. 



But before this organically grown vegetable made it's way into the frying pan and on to my dining table, I decided to let the veggie cool off on top of my AC unit for the veggie had become so hot from the house flies letting off some steam on it.



Then the rain fell and everyone was happy in a very organic way without the organic up charge. All the chinks in the scale of being are filled. Ah, simple living in the 21st century!